For maths, our Year 1 and 2 pupils follow the Key Stage 1 National Curriculum.
Our Nursery and Reception children follow the Early Years Foundation Stage Framework.
To enable all pupils to succeed in maths, we use the Teaching for Mastery Approach in our KS1 maths lessons, in line with the current National Curriculum. We are starting to also use this approach in the Early Years Foundation Stage.
Some of the main features of teaching for mastery are:
- small steps, focusing on learning new concepts with smaller numbers
- topics are covered in greater depth before we move on
- a supportive environment where it’s ok to be ‘stuck’
- children are encouraged to give reasons for their answers and speak in full sentences.
- accurate use of mathematical language
- repetition (of each other and of the teacher)
- practical resources and images are important for all children – if a child really understands a mathematical concept they should be able to show it with resources and pictures or diagrams
You may also like to look at these Maths Websites to support your child’s learning
Maths Mastery Curriculum - Year 1 and Year 2 Overview