Reading At Home
How do I read to my child at home?
- Set a time when you will read to your child. Show them it is important. Make it special
- Read in different voices – show them reading is fun!
- Re-read favourite stories so children can begin to join in
- Discuss the pictures and the front cover
- Ask questions as you read
How do I listen to my child read?
- Read everyday. 10 minutes a day is better than 1 long session.
- Give them time to decode words.
- Remind them to sound it out and draw attention to the pictures to help them
- Praise them for trying – it doesn’t have to be perfect
- Play games